Commission a Board
Getting a board built just for you - how it works:
Having your very own Longboard or Mini Cruiser made couldn't be simpler! Below is a step-by-step guide of what you need to do, followed by a bit more info on what I can offer.
- Get in touch: Fill in the contact form on the website or drop an email to email@example.com - I respond pretty quickly and aim to get back to everyone within 2 working days. Alternatively you can reach me at 07944216812 from 9am-5pm.
- Establish project brief: We will discuss all aspects of the board building as you require, from any design pattern ideas you may have down to variations in shape, length, flex or materials. Ready made templates are available at fixed pricing, or for a completely custom shape a design fee will be applied (based on complexity of design).
- Pay a deposit: Once all the details have been agreed and we are ready to move forwards a 50% deposit is required for the board building to commence. This covers materials costs and design time.
- Sit back and relax, have a cup of tea: Your board is under construction - at this stage I will be ordering in wood, putting together the face sheets, then pressing, cutting, shaping and finishing the decks.
- Final Payment: Once the board is finished I will send you an update with photos, along with an invoice for the remaining 50% of the fee + postage. Once this is paid I will arrange dispatch and your board will be posted.
More info about the process:
Once everything has been agreed on and a deposit has been paid I will usually start work on your board immediately - the only exception to this is if there is already a production queue, in which case you will be informed of this prior to paying the deposit. I can also be contacted for an update at any stage in the production, so please get in touch at any point if you have any questions or concerns.
My first step in making any board is determining the maximum dimensions of the board, and then creating the face sheets in a design that is appropriate to the board shape. As I rely on on offcuts to make these sheets no two boards will ever be the same and I cannot guarantee a specific colour or design, as I have no way of predicting what I will get with each order. I can however guarantee that each design will be composed in a way that makes the best use of the materials provided.
Each board is made from the best available FSC certified veneers. Most of my boards are constructed from English Oak or European Ash, and the composition will depend on the requirements of each board. On occasion other woods may be used depending on availability and suitability to the project.
Gluing stage - each sheet is given a liberal coating of strong, non-toxic wood glue, and then left to cure in the press for 24 hours.
Final stage - every one of my boards is cut and shaped by hand, before being finished with a hardening varnish to add a final protective coat. Once this is dry the board is gripped with Lucid Grip and ready to be shipped to you!